At Bedtonic, we seek to innovate things we use everyday by adding a twist of sustainability and quality to our products. From the placement of buttons on our duvets and clothing, to the quality of materials and packaging, we make everyday living sustainable, safe and effortless. See the results of our conscious efforts and view our latest collection here.
Bedtonic’s mission is to create timeless and sustainable luxury lifestyle products that are made to last a lifetime. We are passionate about learning and adapting to new sustainable materials and practices to ensure mother earth rests easy - as we aim to leave a better world for our future generations.
BEDTONIC X SUSTAINABILITY
Sustainability is at the centre of Bedtonic’s ethos. At Bedtonic, we are conscious about the harmful effect that fast fashion has on our health and planet. Here is a breakdown of how we take ownership of our sustainability initiatives:
- Bedtonic x European Flax® Certification: All Bedtonic products are made with European Flax® Certified Linen produced in Europe. From flax seed to finished product, the European Flax® certifies traceability and accountability for growers and traders to follow sustainable practices at every step of production. This means that flax producers commit to zero irrigation, zero GMO, and zero waste when harvesting their flax.
- Bedtonic x Carbon Neutral: We proudly partner with Carbon Neutral, working with their Plant a Tree program. A conscious choice to support our world and a little salute to Julie’s late Dad who was an integral part of a replanting/regenerating program in New Zealand when she was a child. 200 tress are planted each year by Bedtonic to offset any greenhouse gas emissions. https://carbonneutral.com.au/about-us/
- Bedtonic x Slow Fashion: Bedtonic’s products are made in small batches to ensure quality control and to limit resource consumption and environmental waste. Though costly, we use non-toxic dyes and small batch processes as it’s less harmful to your health and our planet. Every Bedtonic collection is made with an antique wash technique - a process which involves washing our linens in small batches in pumice stones (volcanic rocks) which makes Bedtonic’s linen deliciously soft and non-toxic. Unlike other fabrics and larger brands who use chemicals to achieve a soft finish, we go above and beyond the usual standard as it’s better for your health and our planet.
- Bedtonic x Uncompromising Quality: To combat environmental waste, one thing is clear - we need to make quality products that are durable and can hold their own with every wash and wear. Our focus is to create versatile collections made with high levels of craftsmanship and thoughtful designs for you to enjoy all year long. Our secret to garment durability and longevity involves finishing our garments with a french seams and double top stitching where possible. As a proponent of conscious-sustainable fashion we want to ensure that you receive stylish and quality products that will stand the test of time while also reducing environmental footprint.
- Bedtonic x Packaging: All Bedtonic products are packaged and shipped in reusable and recyclable materials. We believe in doing our part to make sure mother earth rests easy.
BEDTONIC X LINEN - THE WONDER FABRIC
All Bedtonic products are made with European Flax® Certified Linen imported from Europe. Here are some reasons why our hero fabric is unbeatable:
- Behind The Seed: Not all linens are made equal. The best quality linen originates from European flax that is grown along a coastal band stretching from France to Belgium and Netherlands. Because of Europe’s optimal growing conditions, European flax can grow up to 1 metre high and produces the finest quality of fibre with a high breaking point.
- Environmentally Friendly: Pure linen is biodegradable, recyclable and can be produced using less water compared to cotton. In addition, flax production uses less pesticides, fertilisers and toxic chemicals which make the end-product safe to use on a daily basis.
- Forever Versatile: Pure linen is airy, breathable and soft. It’s also thermoregulating and will keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Bye Allergies: Our European Flax® Linen is the perfect match for allergy sufferers due to its hypoallergenic and antibacterial properties.
- Made to Last: Pure linen is known to be durable and almost twice as strong as cotton, but despite its tough reputation, it gets softer with each wash. It really is a beautiful fibre that will love you back.
BEDTONIC X OEKO-TEX® CERTIFIED
Oeko-Tex® is a recognised global leader in eco-labelling. All Bedtonic products are Oeko-Tex® Certified, which means every material included in our products from linen, threads, buttons and other accessories are free of harmful substances. Giving you the freedom to slip into your favourite Bedtonic bedding and loungewear, worry-free.
ABOUT THE FOUNDER
WHEN YOU WALK TOWARDS THE LAKEFRONT PLAYGROUND IN WANAKA, NEW ZEALAND, IT’S HARD TO MISS THE LARGE CONCRETE DINOSAUR STANDING AT THE BASE OF THE HILL, BECAUSE THE THEN 11-YEAR-OLD JULIE, DESIGNED IT TO LAST A LIFETIME.
A NATURAL BEGINNING WITH A HEALTHY OBSESSION FOR SUSTAINABILITY
Bedtonic’s founder and creative director, Julie Ramsay, grew up in scenic Lake Wanaka, New Zealand, with her seamstress mother and her father, who worked in the rafting business. It’s obvious where her creativity and love for sustainability originates.
After travelling the world in search of adventures and profound experiences, Julie met her husband, Donald a cattle farmer, who owned a cattle station in the northwest of Western Australia. They rode camels on the beach to their wedding in Broome, where they then relocated to build a house. A spark of inspiration and conviction led Julie to launch the first drive thru café in the town. This business went on to win a small business achiever award in the Kimberley region.
FINDING COMFORT AFTER COWS AND COFFEE
The exhausting demands of the hospitality business and new found motherhood led Julie to seek comfort and relaxation in her sanctuary...the bedroom. Family bought them back to Perth and feeling washed up in hospitality at 50, Julie drew on her roots to explore where her heart lay and what she wanted the next stage of her life to look like. A trip to the Caribbean and New York for her 50th was to be the catalyst that formed her next chapter. Sleeping in linen sheets in a gorgeous Art Deco Hotel in Miami helped sign the deal which led Julie to Bedtonic’s hero fabric, European Flax® Linen. Drawn to European Flax® Linen's sustainable and non-toxic quality, Julie reevaluated the supply chain and developed a proprietary process for her new sustainable lifestyle brand. The first Bedtonic collection was released in 2016 with Julie packing every order on her kitchen table.
LONG LASTING IMPACT
In 2020 after outgrowing her home base, Julie leased a warehouse and packing room close to her home in Subiaco, Western Australia. By 2021 she opened her concept store at the front of the warehouse and it’s here you will find her liaising with manufacturers, meeting with her pattern makers, and working with her team creating new clothing and homewares to add to the Bedtonic brand. One third of Bedtonic’s clothing is locally made which is something that is important to Julie, though her relationship with her bedding makers, who also make her clothing offshore is still strong after 7 years.
Online sales are at the heart of Bedtonic’s business model with two thirds of their valued customers residing in the Eastern States.
In her spare time, Julie enjoys early morning coffee’s , ocean swims, sunset picnics at the beach, and weekends away with friends. At home you will often find Julie cooking in the kitchen where she finds solace or lounging in her room reading or watching Netflix. She lives with her love and supporter partner Donald, daughter Mollie, a rat catching Schnoodle pooch named Buddy, and his best mate Harry the cat.
Learn about Our Makers >